Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Why do I keep doing the MDS?

            I first started as an MDS Coordinator for perhaps self centered, or maybe family centered, reasons. I was working a day/night rotating shift at a local hospital. I missed geriatrics. I had some background in Adult Day, where we used the Independent Living Assessment, what I call the “home care version of the MDS.” The opportunity came, and I seized it. I joined Kindred Healthcare as an MDS Coordinator.
            The MDS is about money, sure, but I find it does something for me as well as the patient. As I study charts and decipher physician penmanship, I feel like I’m playing detective. I get to exercise critical thinking. I have the opportunity to examine and correlate histories, lab data and subjective reports from the residents. I get to work with professionals in multiple disciplines. I get to pick the brains of the nursing assistants to garner their invaluable input. The assessment process keeps my mind active.
            The assessment process doesn’t just create CAAs and Quality Measures. It really does personalize the care we provide. For example, when I’m covering section J with a resident, the scripted questions build trust and glean information that will hopefully help him or her during his or her stay with us.
            Some time ago, I learned the 10-second rule. If you are with someone, give him or her ten seconds. Don’t take vitals, don’t give pills, don’t talk. Just wait ten seconds. Those ten seconds will open a floodgate. Give it a try. It will change you from a good assessment nurse into a great one. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment