Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

#TheSongofDeborah part 10 by #mrfb

Last week, Barak revealed the tragedy that left him orphaned and scarred. Lapidoth has almost started to open up emotionally. Will Lapidoth finally be able to reconnect with his wife the night before they go to war?
Meanwhile, Bennoam plots his own adventure and Jael and Heber try to make sense of Sisera's new orders.


EXT. LAPIDOTH’S TENT - EVENING
Lapidoth meets Deborah at the fire pit. She stirs a giant pot of soup. He removes his head covering and kisses Deborah’s cheek.
Deborah ladles soup for him and herself. Lapidoth says a short prayer and they drink quietly.
Lapidoth clears his throat.

   LAPIDOTH: Barak leaves in two days. It will ensure we have a day to be ceremonially clean before we battle.

Deborah spills soup over the edge of her cup, burns her hand. She sucks on the blister.

   DEBORAH: What battle?
   LAPIDOTH: I shall lead Ephraim into Hazor the day after tomorrow. 

Deborah spills soup again.

   DEBORAH: What?
   LAPIDOTH: While the whole of Sisera’s army gathers in Zaanaim, Hazor is unprotected. We’ll assault Hazor from the south.
   DEBORAH: You agreed to do this?
   LAPIDOTH: I volunteered.
   DEBORAH: If you were to fight at all, I thought you would go with me, up to Tabor with Barak.
   LAPIDOTH: Barak said this effort is
essential.
   DEBORAH: I hope you realize what you are doing.

Lapidoth looks at her until she looks away. He sets aside his cup.

   LAPIDOTH I am offering him my life, what is left of it.
   DEBORAH: What are you talking about?

Lapidoth SIGHS heavily.

   LAPIDOTH: Dearest Deborah, when our boys died, I died, too. I lost our business, I lost our home. I can’t even make love to you. All I do is sit out there and watch sheep. Yet, somehow, you managed to find the peace that eluded me. My life ended, but yours seemed to begin.


   DEBORAH: Lapi, I- 

Lapidoth waves his hand.

   LAPIDOTH: At first, I was angry. I knew you loved our boys, but doubt grew. I was happy to see you heal, but I faded under your success. Your beauty, your anointing, mocked everything I did, mocked everything I was. Your calling was so clear, so defined, while I stumbled in darkness.

   DEBORAH: I never meant to outshine you. I-
   LAPIDOTH: Please. I am trying to ask your forgiveness. I deeply regret that I have not given you the passion you deserve.
   DEBORAH: There is more to life than passion.
   LAPIDOTH: But you deserve more. You’ve wasted your beauty and your youth on me. I just want you to know that if there were another man, I’d understand if-

Deborah leaps to her feet.


   DEBORAH: How dare you! How could you think so little of me?
   LAPIDOTH: I would understand, that’s all.

A tear runs down Deborah’s cheek.

   DEBORAH: Of all the men in Israel, you have given me more freedom than any woman could desire. I dare not ask for more. I beg you: do not grant me permission to be unfaithful.

Deborah dries her eyes, stirs the soup.

   DEBORAH: You haven’t explained why you will fight Hazor. 


Lapidoth stares into the fire. Looks up.

   LAPIDOTH: Deborah, I want my life to be more than a sentence in history. I want to be more than just Deborah’s husband. I want my life to count for something. There has to be more than a mediocre shepherd in this weary frame. There has to be. I have to believe that somewhere inside me is a warrior who will fight for his friends.

Lapidoth slaps limply at his leg.

LAPIDOTH: That little punk might be the best thing that ever happened to me. After you, I mean. When I look at Barak, I see our boys. I see what might have been. I shouldn’t, but I do. I love him as if he were my own son. He makes me want to live again. And if living means dying, that is what I will do. Deborah, I can’t let Barak do this alone. I can’t let Sisera kill anyone else’s sons.


Deborah takes Lapidoth’s hand.

   DEBORAH: Japeth and Asa knew you loved them.
   LAPIDOTH: Did they?
   DEBORAH: It was Sisera who murdered them, not you. Not you! You sinned neither before me nor before God. That is how I have peace. Please, dear Lapidoth, find your peace.

Deborah kisses his cheek, the corner of his mouth, his mouth. Lapidoth slips his fingers between their faces, turns away.
                                                   FADE TO:


EXT. LAPIDOTH’S TENT - MORNING
Inside the tent, Deborah, Lapidoth and Barak speak in muffled voices.
Behind the tent, Bennoam furtively stuffs bread into a sack. Evie sneaks up on him.

   EVIE: Gotcha! 

Bennoam startles. He grins.

   BENNOAM: Evie! Wow, you scared me. Good one!
   EVIE: Ben, if you are running away,
you’ll need water, too. 

Evie hands Bennoam a water skin.

   BENNOAM: I’m not running away.
   EVIE: Come on, Ben. You’ve been sneaking stuff for the last two days. What gives?
   BENNOAM: Nothing.
   EVIE: Bennoam ben Abinoam, you are
planning to stow away in the cargo going to Mount Tabor.
   BENNOAM: Am not! And don’t tell on me.
   EVIE: You’ll have to pay me to cover for you.
   BENNOAM: All right, name your price.

Evie taps her lips with her fingers as she thinks.

   EVIE: My chores. For a month.


INT. THE SMITHY - DAY
Heber, his arm in a sling, leans against the door jam. He watches Jael hammering.

   HEBER: You just get more and more 
beautiful.

He kisses her cheek.

   JAEL: I’m glad that you are feeling 
better. I was scared. I was so scared.

They kiss passionately. Jael lets her hammer fall to the floor.
                                                   FADE TO:


I/E. THE SMITHY - LATER
Heber ties his belt one-handed. Jael straightens her hair and dress. She busies herself at the fire.
Outside, sound of horses, JINGLING harnesses, CREAKING of wheels.

   HEBER: It’s Jabin’s men.
   JAEL: I wish they would just bring all those chariots here. Why do they have to relocate you?
   HEBER: Secrecy. News of aging chariots might boost Israel’s morale too much. Besides, I won’t be going all the way to Hazor. Just far enough to keep the problem chariots out of sight. There I can teach Jabin’s men how to repair them on their own.
   JAEL: I suppose it is cheaper to move one human rather than nine hundred chariots.
   HEBER: You’ll need to keep up appearances.
   JAEL: Business as usual.

Heber kisses her hand. Jael smiles.

   HEBER: You sure give one terrific send-off.
   JAEL: Just make sure you come back. I’ll keep the fire going for you.

Heber goes out to meet MASHKET and ZEKRUPH who have dismounted from an iron chariot.

   HEBER Ah, gentlemen. I shall gather my things. Please, allow us to water your magnificent horses.

As the men wait, Jael pours a bucket of fresh water into a trough. The horses drink noisily.
Heber uses his free hand to toss a satchel into the chariot. Something catches his attention at the base of Mount Tabor.
In the distance, an ISRAELITE SCOUT creeps into the woods. Heber silently gets into the chariot.

No comments:

Post a Comment