Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Easy projects for Knifty Knitter: Shruggigan and Wristers


If you read my "Thoughts From a Knifty Knitter Newbie," you might like to see a few projects I made.




I made a variation of a shrug pattern I found on the ProvoCraft page.
Since "shardigan" is already in use as a term, I'll call this a "shruggigan."

Start with one sleeve, then open it up on the loom to desired width and then close it to add the other sleeve.
I used the blue rectangular loom. The sleeves were 30 stitches wide, or 15 pegs on one side of the loom and 15 pegs on the other side. I then opened it up and added the 20 or so stitches (which become the length in the back, about 50 stitches total) and then finished the back, closed the last 30 pegs and made the other sleeve.The shruggigan also functions as a bulky scarf by feeding one sleeve into the other and wearing it around one's neck.

Here are some photos of what some people call "wristers." I call them Musician's Friends.

I used the pink rectangular loom. Starting with the fingertips, I used a total of 16 pegs. Knit for desired length. For my hands (short but wide), I knit 10 rows. Add two stitches and knit. This gives a very nice thumb hole. Make the wrist as long as you wish. The above photos are wristers with twenty rows after the thumb hole.
I like to use two colors for the Bob Cratchet/Oliver Twist look.
Keep the knit slightly loose for ease of knitting and for bulky softness. Musician's Friends are warm but not windproof.
  If the yarns are all the same texture, you might wish to mix and match them the way pre-teens and teens are mixing and matching their socks. Remember, it's all about the joy.




No comments:

Post a Comment