Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

On Structure, Freedom and Excellence in Worship


          As a Christian in America, whether you GUBA (Grew up Born Again), swung from the chandeliers with the best of the Pentecostals or only recently discovered that they play ROCK in many churches, you have probably witnessed some form of corporate worship. In my faith walk, I GUBA in a Baptist church, attended a Nazarene church in college and later moved in Pentecostal circles. Because I have been privileged to play with some exceptional worship teams during most of my adult life, I often ponder corporate worship in its many forms.
            When I was a filled-with-the-Holy-Spirit-speaking-in-tongues-and-moving-in-the-gifts newbie, I was determined that everyone should be as wild and free as I had become. I was in nursing school and couldn't wait to empty the hospital, healing wherever I went. When I went to church, I brought the party with me.
            Then something happened. I started to care, not about what people thought, but whether my demonstrative affection for God interfered with the experiences of others. Ecclesiastes 3 comes to mind.
             I can't say I took a hard look at my worship style, but I did look at it. It took a few years of searching, experience and bible study to come to my current conclusion of structure, freedom and excellence in worship.
           Pentecostals need not fear reasons for well structured worship. Congregational demographics present one practical reason for structure. Structure also provides a format for accountability. Third, by knowing what to expect, congregants will experience a level of comfort, allowing many to be released in worship.
            The argument for freedom is also compelling. To me, worship is at its yummiest when we’re jamming and preferring one another as we play. I love when we minister music that was never before written or sung. Fresh, new and wild: I love it!
            My conclusion, at first, was that excellence is where structure and freedom meet. That sounds good, but it isn't entirely true. Excellence is glorifying God, regardless of the situation. Whether I have only two bars of written score or a half hour solo, I need to be ready to pour out God's heart to His people. If the music leader nods to me, I play my violin for all its worth. If my violin just doesn't work on a piece, I submit to the leader's direction (and try to keep a good attitude about it).
            What shall I conclude? Excellence is submitting to the leader (and therefore to God) in structure while submitting to God's heart in freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment