Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Song of Deborah #5

In this segment, I introduce King Jabin. The Bible says little about him, so my rendition of his character is entirely fictional. The scene at the well is derived from Judges 5:11. The Canaanite oppression of the Israelites was so great that even drawing water was a hardship.
Meanwhile, Deborah has decisions to make. If you're curious, Lapidoth quotes from Numbers 30. (For my study on Numbers, see my blogs from 2012.)



EXT. A WELL IN EPHRAIM - MORNING

Abby’s AUNT ABIJAH, her two BOYS and her daughter TIRZAH peek from behind a fallen tree. They dash to the well.
Arrows ZING by them.

ABIJAH: Run! Get back!

Two Canaanite BULLIES step into view, their arrows aimed at Abijah. A third BULLY snatches one of the boys.

THIRD BULLY: Well, what have we here?

The Boy squirms against him.

BOY: Lemme go! Momma!

The first Bully grabs Abijah’s cloak, pulls her close to kiss her. She kicks at him. He laughs.

SECOND BULLY: Ah, don’t waste our time. She’s ugly.
FIRST BULLY: Better looking than your mother!
SECOND BULLY: Shut up! I’ll take her then. She looks better than your sister.
ABIJAH: Run, children!

Tirzah and the other Boy dart behind the fallen tree.
HOOFBEATS and CHARIOT WHEELS approach.

THIRD BULLY: Here comes Jabin. Lose 'em quick!

KING JABIN, thick legged and scowling, rides up in iron chariot. His DRIVER stills the horses while he dismounts. The Bullies bow low.

JABIN: What are you men doing?
FIRST BULLY: King Jabin, sir. We found these intruders at the well.

Jabin sneers at Abijah.

JABIN: What is this? You know the law. The Jews may only draw at night.

Abijah falls to her knees.

ABIJAH: Please, m’lord. I have a sick child. We needed water this morning, sir. Have mercy.
JABIN: Hmm. Sick child?
ABIJAH: Yes, m’lord.
JABIN: (to the First Bully) You. Fill her water skin. Now.
ABIJAH: Bless you, m’lord. How can I repay your kindness?
JABIN: Is that your daughter over there?
ABIJAH: Sir?
JABIN: She is mine now. Take her.

The Bullies tie Tirzah's mouth and hands. Jabin climbs into the chariot with his prize. His Driver snaps the reins. They gallop off.

ABIJAH: Tirzah!

The Bullies leer at Abijah.


CUT TO:
EXT. LAPIDOTH’S TENT - MORNING

Although early, the air already shimmers with heat. In a barren field, a small tent’s dusty pallor blends into that of the bleached grass.
Deborah cooks eggs over a small fire pit.
Barak, yawning, his hair at odd angles, joins her.

DEBORAH: Shalom, Barak.
BARAK: Shalom. Where is Lapidoth?
DEBORAH: Gathering supplies. Here, these are ready.

Deborah flips two eggs onto a plate, hands the plate and a spoon to Barak. With one hand, she breaks another egg into the pan.
Barak raises the plate, closes his eyes and silently mouths a prayer. He pokes at the eggs with the spoon.

BARAK: Deborah, do you really think I can do it? Fight Sisera?
DEBORAH: God said He will do it for us.
BARAK: I want to believe what He said, but I’m not exactly a seasoned soldier.
DEBORAH: The choice is always yours, Barak. You may join God in His purpose or hope someone else does instead. It is always your choice.
BARAK: Will you go with me, Deborah?
DEBORAH: Me, Barak? You have heard from God for yourself. You do not need me.

Barak takes her hand.

BARAK: If you go with me, then I will go. But if you will not go with me, then I will not go.

Deborah studies the hand that took hers. He abruptly lets go.

DEBORAH: If I go with you then you will go? Barak, I cannot go to war.

Barak again clasps her hands in his.

BARAK: Judge Deborah, you carry the presence of the Almighty with you. I’m not going anywhere without that. That’s what Moses said, right? He wouldn’t go without God’s presence. Not even an angel was good enough. He wanted the real thing. I won’t fight unless you come with me.

Beat.

DEBORAH: So many lifetimes have passed since the law of Moses. And yet you know about him?

Barak shrugs.

BARAK: I used to dream that one day, like Moses, I’d deliver Israel. Silly, huh?

Deborah gazes into Barak’s eyes. She seems to listen to a voice Barak doesn’t hear.

DEBORAH: “I will surely go with thee: Notwithstanding the journey that thou takest shall not be for thine honor; for the LORD shall Sisera into the hand of a woman.”

Barak rubs the back of his neck.

BARAK: It is not honor I seek. Not my own, anyway.
(beat)
You know, I wouldn’t even care if the LORD did sell Sisera into the hand of a woman, if it meant my sisters would be protected from Canaanite indecency. And Ben. I want to see my brother live to grow up.

Deborah sets aside her spatula.

DEBORAH: Barak, Sisera’s whole army could not keep me from going with you.

Barak smiles. The egg scorches.

BARAK: Here, let me.

Barak tries to flip the egg. It falls into the fire. Flames lick around the egg, the yolk breaks and bleeds onto the coals.

DISSOLVE TO:
INT. KING JABIN’S BEDROOM - DAY

A HARPIST plays while a SERVANT massages King JABIN.

Jabin’s newly-captured servant TIRZAH bears a tray of wine and fruit. A veil barely conceals a purple welt on her cheek.
Jabin turns onto his side. He starts coughing.

JABIN: That’s enough. Leave me.

The Servant bows through his whole exit.

JABIN: You. Wine.

Trembling, Tirzah steps forward. Jabin leers at her while she pours wine into a gilded cup.
A TINKLING BELL interrupts. Jabin GROWLS.

JABIN: What now?
SERVANT: Your Highness, the Ministers of Finance and Agriculture send their regards.

Jabin sits up. He pulls a towel over his lap.

JABIN: What time is it?
SERVANT: Full noon, Sir.

Jabin GROWLS again.

JABIN: Sick horses. Rotting chariots. Blighted crops. What else now?
(barking orders)
You, my robes. You, send them in. You! Send for my son KIZAAH. And stop that infernal music!

The Servant again bows his way out of the room, followed by the Harpist.
Tirzah helps dress Jabin, fumbling as she tries to not look at Jabin’s bloated body.  He swears at her clumsiness. Tirzah retreats into the shadows.

JABIN: Here they come with more bad news.


DISSOLVE TO:
EXT. LAPIDOTH’S TENT - LATER

Lapidoth and Deborah pack a wagon. The wagon itself has a false bottom with enough depth to conceal objects. Or people.
Out of earshot, Barak cares for his donkey. Also with him, two horses pick at bits of grass in the sand.

DEBORAH: (casually) Barak asked me to go with him.
LAPIDOTH: Go where?
DEBORAH: (falters) To Naphtali.
LAPIDOTH: Naphtali? I don’t recall that being in God’s instructions. When did God say you are to go to war with this, this son of Abinoam?

Deborah moves to a corner of the wagon. Shrugs. Adjusts a bundle.

DEBORAH: Barak asked me. That is all.
LAPIDOTH: You told him no.
DEBORAH: I said I would.
LAPIDOTH: What? You did not!

Lapidoth tightens a leather strap with a jerk. The package underneath squishes.

DEBORAH: He said he wouldn’t go unless I went with him.
LAPIDOTH: How could you agree without consulting me first?
DEBORAH: You weren’t there to consult. It was awkward.
LAPIDOTH: Awkward? So you just figure you will tell me later? From where? The top of Mount Tabor? And when? The day of battle?
DEBORAH: I am telling you now.
LAPIDOTH: I do not like it. You must not.
DEBORAH: I promised him.
LAPIDOTH: Un-promise him!
DEBORAH: I can’t do that.
LAPIDOTH: The law of Moses says that if I hear your vow and disagree, your vow is not in effect. You know that.
DEBORAH: (flatly) Yes, I do. Very well.

Deborah throws a package into the wagon. Something BREAKS.

Barak whips his head around. He scans the scene, then deliberately examines one of the horse’s hooves instead.

Lapidoth, arms crossed, leans against the wagon. He uncrosses his arms.

LAPIDOTH: Deborah, wait. Why did you say you would go?

Deborah takes a deep breath.

DEBORAH: He is just a boy, called to be a man, raising five sisters and a brother, right there under Sisera’s shadow. Can you imagine? He is alone and afraid.

Barak uses his fingers to comb the horse’s mane. He rubs its neck.

LAPIDOTH: I see.

Barak moves to the other horse. He faces it, speaks to it. It nuzzles him. Barak grins at Deborah and Lapidoth, but they don’t see him.

Deborah turns a small bundle over in her hands, places it gently in the wagon.

DEBORAH: He said Moses refused to go anywhere without God’s presence. Barak said neither would he go without God’s presence. Lapidoth, he doesn’t want me to fight. He wants the presence of God to go with him.

Lapidoth sighs heavily, waves his hand.

LAPIDOTH: I would be lying if I said there were a man who had equal measure of God’s spirit upon him as that upon you. There is more to this boy than meets the eye. Very well. You may keep your promise.
DEBORAH: Thank you. Besides, I do not imagine there will be any danger.
LAPIDOTH: The numbers are not convincing. Ten thousand volunteers against Sisera’s hordes? There will be danger enough, even with promised victory. If I kiss you the morning of the battle, will I be kissing you for the last time?
DEBORAH: Then kiss me now just in case.

Lapidoth picks up another parcel, Deborah’s invitation either ignored or instantly forgotten.
Deborah chews her lip, blinks back tears. She sees Barak peering past the horse, taking in the situation. Deborah rubs her eyes with her knuckles, returns to packing the wagon.

Barak’s eyes dart to Lapidoth, back to Deborah. He mouths, “I’m sorry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment