Pages

Monday, December 15, 2014

A Short Muse About Football

Recently a friend asked on social media why people like football so much. The ensuing conversation caused me to wonder for myself.
    Why do I enjoy pro football? Or, perhaps, why do I enjoy football? And why do I enjoy football?
    My high school friends could tell you one reason, but that was a long time ago! (And no, I won't tell you what his name was.)
    To me, a well-played football game is full of strategy. It amazes us with those who have taken talent beyond where most people dare. Talking sports is a great way to break the ice, turning coworkers into friends. A live game is an experience that continually shifts between exhilaration and the heartbreak of election night when your candidate doesn't win.
    At first, watching an NFL game is largely mysterious and boring. I found there were players whose style amused me. Watching those particular players made the game more interesting.
    As I learned a little more, I started calling "holding" or "illegal block in the back," sometimes before the refs threw those goofy yellow flags. I'm still learning the formations and the plays. I can identify a "shotgun" formation. I'm starting to see a "go" route once the announcers say that's what it was.
    As for the roles of each player, I just grin at the genius of the system. It takes all kinds. My favorites are the diminutive (in NFL terms) running backs like Danny Woodhead. I particularly identify with them. Although I wasn't good at throwing the football, I sure could plow through a lot of neighborhood kids when I had it!
    Each player has a specific size, build, skill set and mindset. Whether kicker, tight end, strong safety or quarterback, football involves the most body types of any professional sport. Skinny? There's a place for you. Big legs? Come on over. Giant? Fast? Thickset? Yep. A brilliant strategist? Bingo. 300 pounds can be a thing of beauty when it's protecting another player.
    Then the pendulum swings. Am I really enjoying a sport that causes such tremendous physical harm, including brain damage? one that turns near-adolescents into overnight millionaires and ridiculously selfish individuals?
    But you know what? Not every player is a spoiled brat. And although some accuse the NFL of becoming too wimpy, I believe it is working to make the game safer.
    My conclusion? I'll let you know when the pendulum stills.

No comments:

Post a Comment