Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Coffee and I - part 3


The smell of coffee always reminds me of home, of Mom tossing the coffee grounds into the compost, of Dad’s outside projects, of cups wedged between the dashboard and windshield of the Dodge station wagon. (Yes, there was a time that cars didn’t have “cup holders.”)
            I very much liked the aroma. I very much disliked the taste.
            There were two instigating factors that made me realize this had to change: Glen Holmen after the Peter Gabriel concert and working the night shift.
            Flash back to 1986, before my 15 minutes of fame at the U2 concert. Living in Santa Monica, my husband and I befriended Steve Taylor’s bass player, Glen Holmen. For a hoot, we sent him a ticket to a Peter Gabriel concert. We all went, had a great time. He dropped us off at our place and we found out that Miriam doesn’t know the first thing about making coffee!
            When we moved back to Vermont a few months later, I got a job as a nursing assistant on night shift. The wonder and the ritual of coffee continued. Weary nurses and assistants huddled over mugs of the steaming brew, often with a cigarette in the other hand. (Yes, there was a time when nurses could smoke at the desk.)
            One night, a nurse from another unit came up with a silver tea set and General Foods International Coffee. I had seen the commercials: “I detect a little mint.”
            It was then that the mystique and practicality of concentrated caffeine hit me, first in waves and then in desperation. Could this amazing liquid help me get through the night shift?
            I then embarked on a personal odyssey. I was going to learn to make coffee. I was going to learn to like it. I taught myself to like Brussels sprouts; I could learn to like coffee.
            He must have heard of my plight, for my brother bought me a coffee maker. Let the experiments begin.
            Black: bleck.
            With milk: a little better.
            Half and half? Now we’re talking. But it’s still hard to drink.
            Wait, don’t the Brits drink something like buttered coffee? Tried it. Weird.
            Okay, so people have these flavored coffees, like vanilla. I have some of that. Not sure how to measure it, so here’s a dollop.
            As a teetotaler, that tiny amount of alcohol did a strange thing. By now I was very awake, but suddenly very relaxed. I nixed the vanilla extract idea.
            It didn’t take too many days after that for me to realize that coffee didn’t have to taste awful. I eventually read the recommended proportions of water and grounds. I had been making a poor man’s espresso. “When all else fails, read the [fine] manual.”
            Success!
           
            Now I hope there will come a day when I can offer my favorite bassist a cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment