Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

mweep mweep mweep

   This morning, a little bird just started warming up for its song. I heard it start at about 0658. First, I heard a little twee. Then I heard tweep tweep. Then it sang tweep pmweep mweep. It called out four times mweep mweep mweep mweep. It must have flown to a tree further away, for its voice grew softer. It decided to stay at the three mweeps.
   Why did it remain at the three syllables? Is it a function of lung capacity? Is it genetically programmed to prefer three mweeps? Is three mweeps the most pleasing to itself? Does a song of three attract the mates? Does the three distinguish it from a different but similar species?
   At 0702, a crow began its wakeup call. Kwaah kwaah kwaah. Also in three. I grew up loving morning call of crows. To me, it meant it was going to be a good day. In my adult life, I realized that in the winter months, if a crow calls, it should be above freezing. Look at that: the temperature in Colchester is 31ยบ. I love my crows.
   For another birdcaster, I look at the distance between the pigeons on the power lines outside my workplace. No pigeons: warm. Pigeons 1-2 widths apart: chilly. Pigeons a beak width apart: Yowza cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment