Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Nu 22: Balaam is persuaded


       Among traditional Sunday school stories, Balaam’s talking donkey isn’t necessarily as popular as Noah’s ark or Jonah and the whale. To the teenage/youth group mind, (at least to my youth group at the time), the pun of a “talking ass” brought a range of reactions from snickers to shame.
       Soooo, let’s get it out of the way. Balaam had a talking ass. 
       There. Now that you’re done with the snickers or shame, we may continue.

       The Hebrew, by the way, is Nwta 'athown, a she-ass or she-donkey. It comes from a word implying a sense of patience.
       To recap Numbers 22, King Balak fears the Israelites and tries to hire Balaam to curse Israel. Balaam says no, then finally gives in.

       When rereading this passage, I noticed that the writer refers to God as Myhla 'elohiym and Balaam refers to God as hwhy Y@hovah. In contrast, the bulk of Numbers refers to Y@hovah rather than 'elohiym. I took a cursory glance at commentaries about this. Some think this points to a writer other than Moses. Although a cerebrally interesting point, this idea that another writer may have written these chapters doesn’t detract from the authenticity of the account. (For example, Moses wrote the bulk of the Pentateuch, but Deuteronomy also records that Moses died. It’s pretty safe to assume that someone other than Moses contributed in at least that part of Deuteronomy. It changes no theology and it doesn’t negate the authenticity.)
       In verse 9, 'elohiym comes to Balaam and asks who are the men who have come to see Balaam.
       For those of us who have heard a lot of sermons, we have learned that when God asks a person something, God already knows the answer. He seems to ask us so that we ourselves realize the answer.
       After Balaam answers, 'elohiym says, “Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed.”
       Balaam sends Balak’s men away; Balak sends more honourable [dbk kabad] men to offer greater reward to Balaam. Like before, Balaam asks them to stay the night in case Y@hovah has something to say.
       'Elohiym comes to Balaam again. This time God says to go with them. Then in verse 22, 'elohiym’s anger is kindled [Pa 'aph +hrx charah] against Balaam because he went.
       This is why it has taken me a couple weeks to write about Numbers 22. Why would God tell Balaam “no,” then “yes,” then get angry? I brought it up at a bible study last week. At face value, it looks like God set Balaam up for failure.
       I know in my “knower” certain things about God. One thing is that God is good, without hidden motives.
         1Jo 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
       Like Graham Cooke, I can say that God is the kindest person I know.
       I also know that I don’t have everything figured out. My friends in the bible study reminded me that I don’t need to have everything figured out. They are absolutely right. If something in scripture seems to contradict what I know about God, then the difficulty is on my part, not God’s. I will continue growing and seeking regardless of the apparent difficulty. One day I will understand. Tucked into I Corinthians 13, the “love chapter,” I read:
       9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
       I find that very encouraging to seekers like me, to seekers like you.
       My bible study friends also reminded me to see what else scripture says about Balaam elsewhere.
       2Pe 2:15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
         Jude 11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.
         Re 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
       Peter and Jude mention Balaam’s greed. It was Balaam who had a hidden motive, whether he himself realized it at the time. We’ll get to the reference in Revelation in a few chapters.
       Mighty theologians and greater than I have churned over the dichotomy of free will, God’s sovereignty and passages such as Exodus 7, in which God hardens Pharaoh’s heart. A clue is found in Romans 1. To paraphrase, if you’re “hell bent” on wickedness, you will be.
       In any case, Balaam does what he shouldn’t have done. Money talks and Balaam walks -- right into trouble.
       Until next time, Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment