Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2014

#TheSongofDeborah conclusion



Last week, Jael fulfilled Deborah's prophecy. Now it's time for battles to end and to try to make sense of the new life that is coming. Deborah seems to have surmounted what she most feared. Will she translate what she has learned into her personal life? Will Lapidoth regain what he has lost? Barak's dream of becoming like Moses is about to come true, but it isn't how he expects. (Think Exodus 32:10-14.)
In screenwriting, character change has to be shown in action. One can't narrate it. With the help of tagline repeat #3 and a blue scarf, we'll see whether I succeeded.

I/E. A CAVE NEAR TABOR - CONTINUOUS
Bennoam’s head emerges from a hole in the ground. He gets one arm loose, scrabbles at grass and twigs.
Inside the cave, Deborah squints against falling dirt.

   DEBORAH: How is it?
   BENNOAM: Muddy. Slippery.
   DEBORAH: Ben, get an armful of that mud. We’re going to squirt you out.
   BENNOAM: Cool!

Bennoam swipes an armful of mud. Deborah lets him back down.
Deborah slathers Bennoam in mud. He puts some on her arms. They end up throwing it at each other and laughing.
The water reaches Bennoam’s chest.
Deborah slaps one more clump on Bennoam’s head. She then heaves a slippery, muddy Bennoam upward, upward.
Through!


EXT. PLAIN OF JEZREEL - CONTINUOUS
The river has swept Barak half a mile from the battle. He works his way toward the edge of the river. He pulls himself out.
Corpses, broken chariots, dead horses litter the riverbank.
Barak stumbles past. He stops only to grab armor and weapons: sword, buckler, shield, helmet. The helmet is too big. He throws it aside.
A tall horse stands in the water, uninjured but still bound to a chariot. Its fellow team mates lie jumbled, broken and drowned.
Barak approaches. The horse doesn’t shy from him. Barak frees it, mounts it, rides bareback.
Barak fights his way through remaining Canaanite footmen, toward the men of Zebulun and Naphtali.
The rain turns to mist.
Two SOLDIERS OF ISSACHAR see Barak riding toward them. They cheer. 

   SOLDIERS:It’s Barak! Barak!

Others see Barak riding. They pick up the chant as they fight.

   SOLDIERS: Barak! Barak!

The setting sun breaks through the clouds.
Israel beats back the Canaanites, who abandon their chariots and flee.

   BARAK: Drive them back to Harosheth!

The soldiers WHOOP and CHEER. Barak fights alongside them until the slaughter is complete. The last Canaanite falls.
Barak wipes his sword and rides off.

   BARAK: Now to find Sisera.

I/E. NEAR JAEL’S TENT - EVENING
Mist drizzles. Barak rides, searching.
Jael’s tent sags under the weight of the rain. Barak circles, studies it from different angles. He draws his sword.
Jael appears. She walks boldly toward Barak.

   JAEL: Come. I will show you the man whom you seek.
   BARAK: What man?
   JAEL: Come.

Barak dismounts, cautiously follows Jael. He leaves the horse to be free if it wishes.
Jael lifts the tent flap, holds it for him to enter. It is dark. 
It's Sisera! 
Barak startles, defensively raises his sword.
Jael adjusts a lamp. It brightens the room.

   JAEL: Sisera is quite dead. You need not fear.

Barak sheaths his sword.

   BARAK: Who did this?
   JAEL: Jael, wife of Heber the Kenite.
   BARAK: But how?

Jael picks up the hammer with one hand. The lamp’s shadow accents her lean muscles.

   JAEL: I’m good with a hammer. Shall I show you?
   BARAK: Ah, no thank you.
   JAEL: And who are you, sir?
   BARAK: Barak son of Abinoam of Kedesh Naphtali.
   JAEL: I remember Abinoam. Long ago. How is he?
   BARAK: Dead, at the hand of that man before us.

Jael nods, puts down the hammer.

   JAEL: Then perhaps my motive may be forgiven.

Barak kneels before her and takes her hand.

   BARAK: Israel owes you a debt of gratitude, Jael wife of Heber the Kenite.

Beat.

Faint RUNNING FEET, VOICES. Jael tilts her head.

   JAEL: What’s that?

Barak jumps to his feet.

EXT. JAEL’S TENT - CONTINUOUS
A crowd of dirty, bloody, weary ISRAELITE SOLDIERS gather outside Jael’s tent.
Barak, sword drawn, opens the tent door. Water pours down on his head.
Some LAUGH but others CHEER. They gather around Barak. They toss him above their shoulders.

   SOLDIERS: Hail, King Barak! Hail!

Barak struggles to get down. He yells above the crowd.

   BARAK: Not so, men! No! No!
   SOLDIERS: Hail, King Barak! Hail!
   BARAK: Stop it! In God’s name, stop!
   SOLDIERS: King Barak!

The Soldiers let him set foot on the ground. He motions for silence.

   BARAK: Men of Israel. We are brothers under the LORD. I beg you, do not elevate me to such status before you. It is not I, but God who brought us this victory. Let us stop now and thank the Almighty for his mercy and goodness.

He kneels in the mud. The others follow. Deborah’s voice floats over them.

   DEBORAH: (O.S.) Praise ye the LORD for the avenging of Israel, when the people willingly offered themselves. Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel.

Barak looks up. He smiles, then runs.

   BARAK: Deborah!

Deborah sings as she moves toward the Soldiers. Holding her hand, limping more than he needs to, is Bennoam.

   DEBORAH: Awake, awake, Deborah: awake, awake, utter a song: arise, Barak, and lead thy captivity captive, thou son of Abinoam.

Deborah runs to Barak. They crash into each other, embrace.
They laugh, look into each other’s eyes and embrace again. Then Barak’s eyes fly open.

   BARAK: Ben?

Bennoam hugs his brother. Hard.
The crowds lift Deborah and Barak above their heads. Barak grabs Jael’s hand and she too is raised up.

   BENNOAM: Hey, what about me?

They lift up Bennoam as well.
Together they SING and dance in the rain.

EXT. MOUNT TABOR - NIGHT
Torchlight flickers on tents. SINGING, LAUGHING and a bit of DRAINING skins of wine fills the air.
Deborah and Barak walk together among the Men, thanking them.

Jezer, Rosh and Bennoam have set up a makeshift stage and puppet show. Saucy and raucous, it demands attention.
A painted handkerchief over a painted hand represents SISERA’S MOTHER. She paces up and down. Three WISE LADY puppets hover over her.

Deborah sits on a log in front of the stage.

   BARAK: Save me a seat. I’ll be right back.

Bennoam peeks out, winks at Deborah. Deborah nods once, pretends to look stern. Bennoam tucks his head back down.

   SISERA’S MOTHER: Where oh where is my son Sisera?
   WISE LADY 1: Come away from the window, my lady, you will be chilled.
   SISERA’S MOTHER: Why is his chariot so long in coming? Why tarry the wheels of the chariots?

Deborah looks behind her toward Barak’s tent.

   WISE LADY 2: Yea, have they not sped?
   WISE LADY 3: Have they not divided the prey?
   WISE LADY 2: To every man a damsel?
   WISE LADY 3: Or two?

Shocked, Deborah snaps her head forward.

Wise Lady 1 whacks 2 and 3 with a stick.

   WISE LADY 1: Shame on you! Such dirty thoughts!

Deborah shakes her head.

   DEBORAH:Boys will be boys.

Barak, carrying two packs, puts them on the ground near Deborah. He sits beside her. They watch the show.

   SISERA’S MOTHER: To Sisera a prey of diverse colors?
   WISE LADY 2: A prey of diverse colors of needlework?
   WISE LADY 3: Of diverse colors of needlework on both sides!
   SISERA’S MOTHER: Oh, yes! Such as is meet for the necks of them that take the spoil!
   WISE LADY 1: Like this!

Wise Lady 1 whacks the other puppets. They SQUAWK and SPUTTER and the curtain closes.
About them, Men LAUGH and CLAP. Bennoam, Jezer and Rosh come out from behind the curtain. They bow and duck behind the curtain again.

More puppets appear. Barak sits next to Deborah.

   BARAK: So, Judge Deborah, what is next?
   DEBORAH: Act Three?
   BARAK: That’s not what I meant.
   DEBORAH: I know. (beat) I just wish I had word from Lapidoth.
   BARAK: You will. Hey.

Barak raises Deborah’s chin with his finger.

   BARAK: You’ll hear soon.
   DEBORAH: Thank you.

Barak gently removes his hand.

   BARAK: In a way, I never expected this day to come. Could we really be victorious? Is it really over?
   DEBORAH: It is what God promised, isn’t it? You were great out there, Barak.
   BARAK: I couldn’t have done it without you.
   DEBORAH: Don’t be so sure. But thank you.

They look at each other for a moment.

   BARAK: Deborah, I -
   DEBORAH: Barak, I -
   BARAK: You first.
   DEBORAH: You first.

They laugh and sigh.

   BARAK: Ben tells me you told him about sex.

Beat.

   DEBORAH: Um, yes. I’m sorry.
   BARAK: Don’t be. Now I won’t have to.
   DEBORAH: I didn’t tell him that much. He will still need you.
   BARAK: How do I tell him what I don’t know? (beat) Deborah, I’m sorry about last night. I was scared and confused and lonely.
   DEBORAH: Both of us were.
   BARAK: At least I’m not scared any more.

They watch the puppets.

   DEBORAH: (conversationally) I never had sisters. What is it like?
   BARAK: A pain. Nah, they’re all good kids. Turning out beautifully, too.
   DEBORAH: Indeed they are. I never had daughters.
   BARAK: You want some?
   DEBORAH: Yes. And sons. (long beat) Two of them.

Deborah looks directly at Barak.
Barak’s mouth drops open. He blinks.

   BARAK: I can’t replace Japeth or Asa.
   DEBORAH: Nor can I replace your mother. But if you will let me, I will love you as a son. Lapidoth already does.
   BARAK: Lapidoth? Loves me?
   DEBORAH: He told me himself. He loves you more than life. You gave him hope when he had almost lost it.
   LAPIDOTH (O.S.) Almost? Try lost it entirely.

Lapidoth appears behind them.

Deborah leaps to her feet. Lapidoth takes her in his arms. They LAUGH and kiss. Lapidoth brings Barak into the embrace.

Deborah touches Lapidoth’s forehead. He winces, then smiles. They kiss again.

EXT. A ROAD - EVENING
The sun breaks through clouds, bathing a chariot and a wagon in golden light. 
Standing in the front of the chariot, supported by Barak’s strong arms, Bennoam drives. Water splashes onto them.

   BARAK: Hey, don’t aim for the puddles.
   BENNOAM: Aw, why not?
   BARAK: You don’t know how deep they-

The chariot bounces through a pot hole.
In the wagon behind them, Deborah stifles a giggle.
A rainbow appears above them. Lapidoth sees it first. He points and calls out.

   LAPIDOTH: Look, a rainbow!

Bennoam grins up at his brother.

   BENNOAM: A rainbow. It’s God’s promise, right?
   BARAK: Yes it is, Ben. Yes it is.

EXT. THE PALM OF DEBORAH - EVENING
Perez, Noah, and the other children kneel in a group by the palm tree.
HOOFBEATS. Noah jumps to her feet.

   NOAH: They’re coming!

Perez squints into the distance.

   PEREZ: I count three. No, four. Ben’s with them! All four!
   NOAH: If I weren’t so happy, I’d kill Ben for running off! Come on!

Noah races toward the chariot. Perez runs after Noah. The girls follow. 
Evie catches Bennoam in a bear hug. His other sisters are right behind her. 
Noah and Barak clutch each other and SOB with joy.
Deborah and Lapidoth embrace Perez, Azubah, Abby and Tamar.

Lapidoth takes Abby’s hand.

   ABBY: My father?
   LAPIDOTH: I am sorry, Abigail.
   ABBY: He’s gone?
   LAPIDOTH: Enoch was very brave. And a good friend. I am so sorry.
   ABBY: Tirzah? My cousin?
   LAPIDOTH: She is safe at home again. She hopes you will visit her soon.
   ABBY: Thank you.

Deborah and Lapidoth gently embrace Abby and walk her away from the crowd. 

Perez nudges Azubah.

   PEREZ: Go on, Zubie. Abby needs you.

Azubah runs to Abby. She takes her hand and they walk together.

Barak gently gathers his family. The girls speak all at once.

   NAOMI: I'm so glad you're safe, Barak!
   MESHA: We were all worried.
   EVIE: We prayed and prayed. We didn't stop until you came back.
   SARAH: I knew you'd come back! I knew it!

Bennoam squeezes himself in.

   BENNOAM: What about me?
   SARAH: I knew you would come back. You have to be where the excitement is.
   BENNOAM: Hey, Barak, what are we going to do for excitement now?

Barak tousles Bennoam’s hair.

   BARAK: I thought we’d go visit a family friend in Asher. Maybe go swimming.
   NOAH: Swimming? You know how to swim?
   BARAK: It’s easy. You just trust the water.
   BENNOAM: Hey Barak, where’d you get that scarf? Have you got a-

Noah SHUSHES Bennoam. She smiles at both of her brothers.

INT. LAPIDOTH’S TENT - NIGHT
Two oil lamps cast yellow light. Perspiring in the heat of the tent, Lapidoth and Deborah empty their traveling packs. Deborah holds up the bloodied dress. She tosses it into a growing pile of muddy, bloody laundry.

Lapidoth extinguishes one lamp.

   DEBORAH: Lapi, can you ever forgive me?
   LAPIDOTH: For what?
   DEBORAH: For never telling you what you mean to me.
   LAPIDOTH: (pleased) Tell me now.
   DEBORAH: How could I have ever managed the authority of judge without your steady love? You tempered and taught me, you are my rock, my wisdom and my protection. I was so free to be myself, so free to pursue my calling, so busy mothering Israel, that I was neglecting you. For this I am sorry beyond words. I want to let you be the one with the dream and the calling now. I am ready to be just a sentence in history, if it means you are free to be the man God has called you to be.

They look at each other. Lapidoth sighs. 
He smiles.

   LAPIDOTH: Forgiven. Thanks to you and that little punk, I am ready to become that man.

Deborah wipes her forehead with a knuckle.

DEBORAH: The rain hasn’t cooled anything off, has it?

She peels off her outer cloak, revealing a simple sleeveless tunic. She exhales wearily and tosses the cloak into the pile.

   LAPIDOTH: At least hot and free is preferable to hot and oppressed.
   DEBORAH: Well said, my husband. It is as if we are upon the dawn of a new age. Things will be the same, but different. Better.

Lapidoth stops unpacking. He stretches his back. He blows out the second lamp, turning yellow tones to blue.
He draws close to Deborah. In the dimness, her bared arms shine white, her loosely braided hair gleams blue-black. 

Palm trees WHISPER in a distant oasis.

   LAPIDOTH: Deborah, if tonight were the last of all we knew, what would you want more than anything?
   DEBORAH: I think I should like to make love with you, right here in the tent.

Lapidoth touches her cheek. She closes her eyes and leans her face into his hand. He lifts her braid, kisses her neck, her throat.

   LAPIDOTH: Don’t be foolish. Come outside.

As he leads her out of the tent, Bennoam’s constellation “Heaven is Smiling” twinkles above them.

FADE OUT.


No comments:

Post a Comment