Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Touch of Mink


As I haven't blogged much lately, I'm dusting off some movie reviews I wrote years ago. This one is from 8/8/99.

A Touch of Mink
Young single woman meets handsome, rich, worldly fellow. Young single woman feels she must prove her worth by losing virginity with handsome, rich, worldly fellow. A typical '90's theme? This time, however, it's Doris Day and Cary Grant.
The movie is funny in the way The Seven Year Itch is funny. It was interesting to step backward a few decades to see how Hollywood handled premarital sex then. In thirty (now 40) years, people have moved far, far from blundering into doing the right thing. In that way, this comedy is sadly sobering.
Don't let teenagers watch this one without a lot of discussion with parents afterward. There are many choices these people make, each worth noting. Not every young woman is as fortunate as this character. If your kids want to watch "Pretty Woman" (which I HATED), rent this one instead. It doesn't have graphic sex and doesn't have Julia Roberts or Richard Gere, three compelling reasons.

On another note, my hubby has challenged me to pick apart Ben Hur. Ouch! ALL RIGHT. Too violent and Charlton Heston really isn't that good of an actor. There, I've said it. But where else do you get a fabulous exchange like this?
      "If you were not a bride, I should kiss you goodbye."
      "If I were not a bride, there would be no goodbyes to be said."
Ben Hur is still my favorite flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment